In this post you will learn how you can create or install, in addition to using a Windows server with XAMPP. ENTERS!
Welcome to a new post.
This time we will develop a topic related to the XAMPP server, specifically to be used with the Windows operating system.
We will delve into a fairly large area, made up of complex terms and definitions; for this reason we will make this post a light and understandable content for all our readers. Let's start by knowing the basics around XAMPP.
What is this program?
It is an acronym that groups together a series of tools to represent a cyber infrastructure system. This group is comprised of:
- X (operating system)
- Apache (Web server)
- MySQL (database manager)
- PHP-Perl-Python (programming language)
Is XAMPP a server?
Effectively, XAMPP has been a platform free server, a software in an integrated application, a web server, a database server or manager and a programming language decryptor.
This platform facilitates installation of Apache, without restriction of the operating system you use, either Windows, Linux, Solaris or Mac.
A particularity that characterizes it is its practical installation, it is done in a simple way, it is only a matter of downloading, extracting and starting to use it. And the most remarkable thing is knowing that despite its maximum qualities, it is a completely free standalone server.
How to install a XAMPP server for Windows?
Follow these simple steps so that you can successfully install a XAMPP server on your computer.
1. Initially you must download XAMPP, which as we already said is an integrated package (Apache, MySQL, PHP), which thanks to this interaction will only take a few minutes to have the server active.
In ApacheFriends, you must look for the link XAMPP for Windows, to start the download.
2. After downloading the XAMPP installer, runs and we proceed to the assistance instructions. An installation path will appear by default, this should be ignored since we will use a different path.
3. Next we will visualize a list of options to choose the programs to install. Since it is not necessary we will uncheck Webalizer, Perl, Tomcat, Fake Sendmail, and FileZilla FTP Server, Mercury Mail Server.
4. The default installation path will appear again, and to see more information we uncheck the box, then start the app installation.
5. After finishing the installation, choose the language to use the Xampp between two options, English or German, then the control Panel, where we will see the PHP and MySQL installed.
6. And to start both services we type the Start button of each respectively. The buttons to enter the configuration folder and the Logs of each one will also appear; Config and Logs for PHP and MySQL.
7. Finally we will find the buttons PHP Admin which is the one we will use to open the Web, and the button MySQL Admin It is useful to start the administration of phpMyAdmin.
This is how you can properly install a XAMPP server on Windows, adding the modules correctly.
How to use XAMPP?
After you have installed the XAMPP server and downloaded the Apache web server, you can enjoy its benefits by doing the proper use of this magnificent tool.
The XAMPP standalone server provides a fully functional configuration from the moment of installation, to guide just beginning developers.
XAMPP is a development platform that allows you to test and develop projects, for example:
- Online stores.
- Set up a social network.
- Web pages for clients,
- or even programming
All this without having to use the internet, all this is carried out from the computer itself.
Follow these instructions so you can learn how to use the XAMPP server in Windows correctly:
1.- Locate the XAMPP control panel, and click on «Start2 under« Actions »corresponding to the Apache module. This is done to start Apache server.
2.- To test the effectiveness of PHP, in Notepad with a new document write:
3.- Followed save in c: \ xampp \ htdocs \ as "test.php»(You must select the directory where XAMPP is installed).
4.- The text "Hello world" should appear when browsing localhost / test.php. With this you can verify that the installation was successful.
If you want to use a XAMPP server in a more advanced way, mount your own web files in the "htdocs" folder; remember: EVERYTHING goes in there.
In the page by Apache Friends You can see that there are three versions of the Windows operating system which are:
- 7.1.33 / PHP 7.1.33
- 7.2.24 / PHP7.2.24
- 7.9.11 / PHP7.9.11
You should also know that there are two versions of XAMPP for Windows, one with an installer which is the one we described at the beginning and the other portable (compressed).
We have finished the lesson, hoping that you have liked our work. We recommend another post on our blog that we think may interest you:
- How to create an API with JSON-Server in 5 minutes
- How to configure CloudFlare CDN and improve your website SPEED on a 40%
Put your knowledge into practice and tell us in the comments if you have previously worked with the XAMPP server?
It will be until a next post. Thankful for your visit.